Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Victory


So much of my life seems to be caught in a tug-a-war between who I am now and who I want to become. I am at battle with my sinful nature. It seems to take hold of me so much of the time and I struggle living this so called "victorious Christian life." So what does that really look like? Are we able to live a life completely victorious, free from the stress and strain of our sin and the world around us... Is that what it truthfully means to have victory in Christ?


The word victory, according to the dictionary states victory is the "Defeat of an enemy or opponent or success in a struggle against difficulties." As I read this definition I was trying to picture what defeat would be over an enemy...Being as I am not really into anything about war very few vivid pictures come to mind. The first to pop into my brain was from the movie independence day, don't' ask me why, because I don't even understand it. Anyway the aliens were trying to annihilate (defeat) planet earth. Yet the reverse happened and their plan was thwarted by the hero...But the picture is that it was a fierce battle, lives were lost, then there was total victory at the end and the aliens were destroyed...

Similarly Satan is trying to defeat the plans of God. However, Satan has already been defeated because of Christ's death and resurrection! Praise the Lord that the war for all of eternity has already been won. I am simply battling the war here on earth as I await my coming King to pronounce His Victory!


On earth my battle is against the attacks of the evil one and the powers of darkness. And at the same time my own flesh, which is opposed to God as it seeks after it desires and wishes apart from God. The sin-nature is raging war against my soul because God has claimed me as His. Daily I am faced with this battle, but there is joy in it because as a Christian I have victory over my enemy, the devil, through the power of Christ. His blood has set me free! (Romans 8 and 1 Corinthians 15:51-58).


Yes I will struggle I am human and I fail, but God who is compassionate, merciful and gracious will lift me up as I humble myself before Him and fall before His throne. Praise be to our Lord because He has given us victory through the blood of Christ!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home